With the new year upon us, you may have already started with a few resolutions and goals. Even if you haven’t as yet, it’s not late; you can decide to make them NOW. However, this time around, add better oral hygiene to your list of this new year’s resolutions.
Making sure that your smile stays brighter and shinier than ever before, doesn’t have to be hard if you add these 4 resolutions to your list of aspirations for the New Year.
# 1 – Commit To Healthy Oral Habits
Brushing and flossing are key elements in your oral health routine. Inculcate these habits in your daily routine:
- Commit to brushing and flossing twice a day.
- Vow to floss twice a day, every day.
- Brush for a full two minutes.
- Use proper techniques while brushing or flossing.
Good Brushing techniques
- Use a soft-bristled brush. Brush gently but thoroughly.
- Don’t brush in a straight line, brush back and forth across your teeth.
- Brush in a circular motion as it promotes healthy gums and covers a larger surface area across your teeth.
Good Flossing Techniques
- Tear off about 18 inches long of floss and wind it around the middle finger of each hand.
- Leave a 1- or 2-inch length of floss between both hands.
- Hold the floss taut as you work the length up and down between the teeth.
- Be gentle, especially around delicate gum tissues.
- Re-wind the floss every time you move to a new tooth.
# 2 – Consume Less Alcohol and Quit Tobacco
Excessive alcohol consumption can ruin your overall health. But do you know that it’s harmful to your oral health too? And if you are a smoker, the effects are worse. Studies have shown that people who smoke and drink are less likely to brush their teeth regularly. They are prone to gum recession, mouth sores, tooth decay and are more susceptible to oral cancer. This new year commit to limit your alcohol intake and give up smoking altogether.
Strategies to Kick the Tobacco Habit for Good:
- Change your daily routine.
- Stay away from people who smoke or use tobacco.
- Sign up for group or individual counseling.
- Get support from family or friends.
# 3 – Correct Underlying Dental Issues
- Take a step towards enhancing your smile and improving your oral health by correcting underlying dental problems. Braces can correct the abnormal bite, tooth crowding or crooked teeth.
- Preserve the tooth structure and teeth alignment by starting restorative dental work. Treatment procedures such as fillings, dental crowns, dental implants, bridges or dentures can improve your oral health.
# 4 – Get Yourself to the Dentist Twice a Year
Studies have shown that most people miss their yearly dental appointments. Even if you maintain a good oral hygiene, visiting a dentist twice in a year is important. Dentists are trained to check for alarming signs, which may appear small now but can lead to serious complications later on.
At Coral Dental Care, we want you to make dental health an important part of your overall wellness. Make your New Year’s resolutions and don’t give up. If you need help, we are just a call away!
Dr. Anu Isaac, DMD, runs a successful dental practice in Salem, MA. Dr. Isaac strives for quality on a daily basis and this commitment to quality is reflected in her constant pursuit of advanced training. Her firm belief that even experts need to stay updated about what’s new in the dental field, enables her to provide every patient with optimal oral care. As the founder of Coral Dental Care, she is dedicated to creating healthy, beautiful smiles for her patients and also to educating dental and non-dental community with her engaging articles on all things related to oral health, recent dental innovations, and latest treatment modalities.